Botox is injected into the muscles with a very thin needle. You may feel a slight burning sensation while the medication is being injected, but it is very short-lasting. The procedure itself takes less than 10 minutes and the results last 3-4 months. There are different types of botulinum toxin (Botox, Jeuveau, Xeomin, Dysport) and you can discuss these options with your provider.
These are some contraindications to having botox:
- Pregnant or breastfeeding
- Significant autoimmune or neurological diseases
- Currently taking aminoglycoside antibiotics (such as: streptomycin, tobramycin, neomycin, gentamycin)
There are some possible side effects:
- Some initial swelling, pain, itching, discoloration, bruising or tenderness at the injection site may occur. You could experience increased bruising or bleeding at the injection site if you are on aspirin or other non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as Advil. Bruises generally lessen or disappear within a few days but may last up to two weeks.
- You can purchase Arnica over-the-counter at our office to help alleviate bruising.
- It takes 3-7 days for any effect at all to be seen.
- Full treatment results peak at 14 days following your appointment. It is at this time that tweaks, adjustments or additions to your result can take place. Contact the office and ask for a 5 minute Botox Follow-up appointment if you want to come in for assessment.
- Effects last 3 months on average. There will be a slow return of movement as the effect of botox is not an ‘on/off switch’. Regular treatment is necessary to maintain effects.
For 4 hours after the treatment you should avoid:
- Laying Flat
- Strenuous Exercise
- Facials and saunas
- Rubbing. Manipulating, or pressure any of the injected areas
If you need to apply make-up, use only a gentle touch and avoid rubbing the injection areas.
Tiny bumps at the injection sites usually disappear within 20-60 mins. If you experience bruising, you can take OTC Arnica pellets to speed healing. We do carry this at the office.
- It usually takes 4-7 days for any effect to be seen
- Full treatment effects occur at 14 days post-treatment. It is at this time that tweaks, adjustments or additions to your results can take place. Please contact the office and ask for a 5 minute Botox Follow-up appointment if you'd like to pop in to see your provider.
- Results last 3-4 months on average.
- Regular treatment is necessary to maintain results.
Have You Reviewed Us Yet?
YOU'RE our WHY. Which is why we rely almost solely on your word of mouth. Your reviews are so appreciated because it helps others begin their skincare journey, and keeps us focused on what we love to do most. We'd love to thank you for sharing why you love PFAM in a Google review here. We'll be sending you a thank you offer for your time.